This version of Mung Beans and Rice, the well known staple, was developed by Dev Atma Suroop Kaur . The recipe originally came from the Golden Temple of Conscious Cookery collection. It was included in From Vegetables with Love, a cookbook by Siri Ved Kaur, which inspired this version.
This version evolved over many years from our repeated use of the BananaFast, a mono diet designed by Yogi Bhajan. It contains an abundance of green vegetables with other inclusions designed to make the experience very attractive as a mono diet (the banana fast specifies the consumption of mung beans and rice for one complete lunar cycle, full moon to full moon) and very satisfying. We have not recently employed the banana fast, though we currently use this recipe for mono diets lasting three days, two to three times per month. Each batch provides food for three meals daily for three days for two people.
I did this fast many times.. It has many excellent effects.
- Super increased flexibility in the body, particularly the joints
- Expansive meditative space, allowing you go go into very deep trance
- Profoundly stimulates intuition
- I lost about 20 lbs each time I did the diet
and some side effects
- It puts some stress on the heart, particularly if you have a very strenuous exercise schedule. Maybe take it easy a little during the fast.
- I did not keep off the weight for very long.
This diet removes drug deposits from the medulla. It must be started on the day of the New Moon and continued for 14 days until the Full Moon. It is intended to build up worn tissues and adjust the iron, sodium,and potassium factors in the body. This diet takes away the sodium and replaces calcium.
Breakfast: 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice with the pulp left in, and sweetened with honey. After 1 hour, eat 3 (yes, three bananas). Chew thoroughly, this is very important, and be sure to eat the strings of white which cling to the banana. Immediately after the bananas eat the contents of one whole cardamom pod. The cardamom turns the bananas into liquid and changes the effect of the bananas on the digestive system.
Lunch: 3 bananas followed by one whole cardamom pod.
Dinner: 3 bananas followed by one whole cardamom pod. This diet has its side effects, so be prepared: Yon may feel weak from the lack of customary nervous stimulus. In that case take more orange juice and honey during the day. If constipation is the problem, increase the cardamom pods to a maximum of 3 at a time. Also drink large amounts of hot water periodically. Yogi Tea may be taken along with mis diet You may find yourself feeling excessively emotional and short tempered. If you have a severe reaction to the diet, then discontinue (break the fast according to the following instructions, however, and try it again when your system has undergone more preliminary purification.) The Banana Fast is not recommended for people who have had no previous cleansing purification diets.
After the 14 days of bananas, on the 15th day of the moon, you should take lemon juice in warm water with honey. Then for the next 28 days, you should go on Mung Beans and Rice Diet. This diet is for the kidneys and higher meditation.
The proportions of mung beans to rice is slightly different when you are taking it as part of the Banana Fast, and therefore you should follow the recipe as given here:
- Cook 1 part mung beans to 2 parts rice and about 10 parts of water (it is essential to use adequate amounts of water so that the final product is “soupy” and not solid.)
- Green vegetables should be cooked right in with the mung beans, and rice (green pepper, broccoli, string beans, zucchii \ etc.)
- Turmeric and fresh mint leaves must be cooked in the mug beans and rice (dried: mint may be used if necessary.)
- Any fresh fruit may be taken to supplement the diet, and of course Yogi Tea.
- No dairy products for these 28 days.
- (Note for Women: with this fast the menstrual period may come 2 weeks early, but with minimum food intake the discomfort should be slight)