Following is the original recipe given by Yogi Bhajan:*
In a large pot, bring 2.8 litres (3 quarts) of water to a boil. Then add:
- 20 whole cloves
- 20 whole green cardamom pods (optional: gently crush them under a rolling pin or with a mortar and pestle to open them up)
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 5 sticks of cinnamon
- Optional: a few slices of fresh ginger
Continue boiling for 15-20 minutes, and then add: ¼ tsp of a mild black tea (Golden Assam is recommended)
After another minute or two, add ½ pint of milk per pint of remaining liquid. The original recipe calls for cow’s milk but any type of milk is fine – cow, goat, almond, soy, hemp, etc. There is no need to measure the milk, just eyeball it.
Optional: add honey or other sweetener to taste.
Each of the ingredients in Yogi Tea has healing properties. The black pepper is a blood purifier and aids in digestion. Cardamom is good for the colon and can help relieve depression. Cloves strengthen the immune and nervous systems. Cinnamon is antibacterial, loaded with antioxidants and is good for the bones. Ginger root is great for the nervous system and is energizing.
Increasingly, people are choosing to cut caffeine from their diets. A wise decision for a number of reasons, but the black tea in Yogi Tea helps the ingredients amalgamate. In other words, the black tea makes Yogi Tea more potent as a healing agent. A compromise: after the spices have cooked for 20 minutes, take a tea ball or bag and swirl it around the pot a few times.
*Yogi Bhajan’s Original Recipe appears in Kundalini Yoga: The Flow of Eternal Power by Shakti Parwha Kaur Khalsa (1996).
Original article on Joy Blog
This version of Mung Beans and Rice, the well known staple, was developed by Dev Atma Suroop Kaur . The recipe originally came from the Golden Temple of Conscious Cookery collection. It was included in From Vegetables with Love, a cookbook by Siri Ved Kaur, which inspired this version.
This version evolved over many years from our repeated use of the BananaFast, a mono diet designed by Yogi Bhajan. It contains an abundance of green vegetables with other inclusions designed to make the experience very attractive as a mono diet (the banana fast specifies the consumption of mung beans and rice for one complete lunar cycle, full moon to full moon) and very satisfying. We have not recently employed the banana fast, though we currently use this recipe for mono diets lasting three days, two to three times per month. Each batch provides food for three meals daily for three days for two people.
I did this fast many times.. It has many excellent effects.
- Super increased flexibility in the body, particularly the joints
- Expansive meditative space, allowing you go go into very deep trance
- Profoundly stimulates intuition
- I lost about 20 lbs each time I did the diet
and some side effects
- It puts some stress on the heart, particularly if you have a very strenuous exercise schedule. Maybe take it easy a little during the fast.
- I did not keep off the weight for very long.
This diet removes drug deposits from the medulla. It must be started on the day of the New Moon and continued for 14 days until the Full Moon. It is intended to build up worn tissues and adjust the iron, sodium,and potassium factors in the body. This diet takes away the sodium and replaces calcium.
Breakfast: 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice with the pulp left in, and sweetened with honey. After 1 hour, eat 3 (yes, three bananas). Chew thoroughly, this is very important, and be sure to eat the strings of white which cling to the banana. Immediately after the bananas eat the contents of one whole cardamom pod. The cardamom turns the bananas into liquid and changes the effect of the bananas on the digestive system.
Lunch: 3 bananas followed by one whole cardamom pod.
Dinner: 3 bananas followed by one whole cardamom pod. This diet has its side effects, so be prepared: Yon may feel weak from the lack of customary nervous stimulus. In that case take more orange juice and honey during the day. If constipation is the problem, increase the cardamom pods to a maximum of 3 at a time. Also drink large amounts of hot water periodically. Yogi Tea may be taken along with mis diet You may find yourself feeling excessively emotional and short tempered. If you have a severe reaction to the diet, then discontinue (break the fast according to the following instructions, however, and try it again when your system has undergone more preliminary purification.) The Banana Fast is not recommended for people who have had no previous cleansing purification diets.
After the 14 days of bananas, on the 15th day of the moon, you should take lemon juice in warm water with honey. Then for the next 28 days, you should go on Mung Beans and Rice Diet. This diet is for the kidneys and higher meditation.
The proportions of mung beans to rice is slightly different when you are taking it as part of the Banana Fast, and therefore you should follow the recipe as given here:
- Cook 1 part mung beans to 2 parts rice and about 10 parts of water (it is essential to use adequate amounts of water so that the final product is “soupy” and not solid.)
- Green vegetables should be cooked right in with the mung beans, and rice (green pepper, broccoli, string beans, zucchii \ etc.)
- Turmeric and fresh mint leaves must be cooked in the mug beans and rice (dried: mint may be used if necessary.)
- Any fresh fruit may be taken to supplement the diet, and of course Yogi Tea.
- No dairy products for these 28 days.
- (Note for Women: with this fast the menstrual period may come 2 weeks early, but with minimum food intake the discomfort should be slight)